Compact Substations :
CSS are used in the distribution network to package in one housing the Medium Voltage switchgear (usually a RMU), distribution transformer (DT) and Low voltage distribution panel (LVDP). The housing can be of steel sheet or concrete.
CSS Packages Substations , Electrical Kiosks or Distribution Electrical Centers are common names serving the same purpose .
The metal enclosed CSS can be in a form of:
- One compartment solution where the MV RMU, DT an d LVDP are in one compartment.
- Three compartmented solution where the MV RMU, DT and LVDP are segregated from each other by steel sheets in separate compartments.
- Since CSS are installed outdoor, the environment has a big impact on the design and execution of the units.
- We consider all parameters which could affect the performance of the CSS such as ambient temperature. sand storms, insects, location, altitude, gases, transportation, humidity and others.
- The access to operate and maintain CSS is possible by having doors for each comportment and movable roof.
- The MV side can be a primary switchgear, a compact switchgear, a RMU. The configuration is based on the system type, where it is a radial Or ring system.
- Distribution Substations up to 36 KV with power transformer(s) outside the PEC installed under a canopy
- Multi Transformers PEC (more than one transformer in one container)
- Switching stations where a MV switchgear can be installed
- Pressurized centers to be installed in areas where hazardous gases are available
- Electrical centers for water applications and pumping stations
- Operating room for industries and mining
PECs are metal enclosures, housing or containers to package a system together and ship to site as a product. PECs are transportable as they can be lifted.
They could be:
- Walk-in type
- Non walk-in type
- The walk-in type is operated from inside the housing while the non-walk-in type is operated from outside the housing.
- PECs can be equipped with operator room, air conditioning, kitchen and other facilities in case requested by the customer.
- The walls of PECs can be built as single or double lover with insulation material in between or just air.
- PECs can be installed on top of each other (in a module form) to construct a multi-purpose center.